Monday, January 31, 2011

Research Field Trip in Kuching, Sarawak

Finally, I have returned to my lovely home sweet home from Kuching. Last two weeks I have been to Kuching for a research trip under the supervision of my beloved lecturer Dr. Catherine Yule from Monash University, which refrained me from having the time to blog for two weeks. I need to conduct an experiment under a research project that entitled: 'Comparison of Phenolic Production in Ant Inhabited and Uninhabited Macaranga pruinosa trees in Peat Swamps'. The purpose of this project is to determine the production of phenolic compounds in plants inhabited by ants comparing them to uninhabited ones. Hence I need to fly to several national parks in Kuching, namely Bako, Kubah and Gunung Gading National parks to collect some samples.



It was a wonderful and memorable experience as it was my first field trip to forests, and I got the chance to see a real Rafflesia flower of 68 cm which had blossomed for 4 days.

We were so lucky to see one as it only blossom for a week after 9 months of maturation or the so-called 'pregnancy' period. Furthermore, we managed to see all sorts of exotic and endangered wildlife animals, such as gibbons, orang utans, bear cats, etc. The wonderful memories I had were indescribable. The lifestyle in Kuching is just so peaceful. It is just so different from the hustle-bustle city as in KL, a place where I stay for 23 years.



Now that I have returned home, back to KL, nevertheless I will treasure the wonderful memories of the life in Kuching. Hopefully I can go back to Kuching in near future.

As Chinese New Year is coming real soon, I was told by my lovely classmate Yassin that we were given one week holiday till 7th February. It shall be another wonderful memories as I will be celebrating this new year with my family, relatives and friends. Am looking forward for this festive season to come...

No comments: