Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011: Dawn of the New Decade

Here comes an end of year 2010, and the starting of year 2011. Time flies so fast, and the last decade has just marked a full-stop. Entering the new decade, I ponder: What have I achieved throughout the past ten years? What have I learned? What is my passion in life?

Looking back envisioning all that I have done within the past ten years, back when I was in secondary school, to college, and to university, my life has been full of colours. These years have been moulding me from a happy-go-lucky girl-next-door to a confident and independent young lady.

Back to ten years ago, I was still a child of 13 years old full of ignorance and innocence. My secondary life has been a huge transition in my life. Being a student leader, I acquired social and leadership skills; being a debater, it has taught me conceptual skills and the self- confidence; learning Yamaha Electone, I began to understand the beauty of different melodies and the magical wonders of using both left and right brains.

When I stepped into college to pursue A-levels, life has been even more exciting. Juggling between studies and extra-curricular activities has been challenging yet rewarding. Not only that I had to achieve good grades to maintain my scholarship, I was the President of Chinese Cultural Society. From there I learned to do things in a systematic manner, handling things in an impromptu manner and deliver promises within time constraint. All these soft skills can only be learned by experience and mistakes. What does not kill me can only make me stronger. Not only that, I got the chance to take part in several cultural dances and even Latin dance! It has been an unforgettable chapter of my life.

Moving on the undergraduate studies, I found my passion in life – to embark on education or career that will eventually lead me to helping others, especially the underprivileged populations, in terms of their basic needs such as food and water. I realized how fortunate I am to live in a country with rich natural resources, abundant rainfall and fertile lands. An agricultural biotechnology student, I hope that I can improve the nutrition values and productivity of crops. This has been my dream and right now, the flame of passion ignited in my heart continues to burn even brighter. I have a dream and I have the courage to be who I really want to be.

Being just a fresh Monash graduate last December, I looked forward to exploring the world full of excitement, and voila, I was selected for the BeST program. Being the only Chinese race in the program, it taught me that no matter what colour of our skin, or what language we speak, we share the common aim – the love for our country Malaysia. We study together, play together, work together, joke together, these are such precious moments which I have never experience before.

Now, I still left with two months of soft-skill training and three months of internship under BeST program. I am anticipating with the subsequent courses and training. I foresee myself as someone who will be very successful, not in terms of monetary value, but self-satisfaction, because I will equip with valuable knowledge of communication, technical and entrepreneurship throughout this program, which will help me to be a highly qualified person in the world of agriculture and biotechnology.

No comments: